March 2, 2017– LOUISVILLE, KY – The Kentucky Derby Festival is pleased to announce the winners of the wine judging competition that was held Wednesday, March 1, at the Masonic Homes of Kentucky Campus, Bistro. Judges from the American Wine Society gathered to score the 95 different wine samples from 10 Kentucky wineries that entered into the competition.
The wines were competing to be the best in the region and were scored on appearance, bouquet, taste/texture, aftertaste, and overall impression. The judging is part of the Kentucky Proud Kentucky Derby Festival WineFest in May.
The following Kentucky wineries won GOLD awards in these categories: White Native American, Red Native American, White Hybrid, White Vinifera, Red Vinifera, Non-Grape and Dessert.
(A complete list of all winning wines is available online at KDF.org.)
- Prodigy Vineyards & Winery (2013)/ Diamond Grape Varietal
- Forest Edge (2015)/ Ridege Runner Red
- Wight-Meyer (NV)/ Concord
- Wight-Meyer (NV)/ Buffalo Head Red
- Wight Meyer (NV)/ Pink Diamond
- Boucherie (2013)/ Traminette
- Stonebrook (NV)/ Estate Reserve
- Wight-Meyer (NV)/ Seyval Blanc
- Horseshoe Blend (NV)/ Red Jester
- Stonebrook (NV)/ Sunset Blush
- Wight Meyer (NV)/Norton
- Stonebrook (NV)/ Chardonnay
- Forest Edge (2014)/ Renedvous
- Forest Edge (2015)/Moscato
- Prodigy Vineyards & Winery (2014)/ Cabernet Franc
- Old 502 (NV)/ Cabernet Sauvignon
- Old 502 (NV)/Grenache
- Forest Edge (2013)/ Old Vine Zinfandel
- Forest Edge (2015)/ Black Cherry Pomegranate
- Purple Toad (NV)/ Blackberry Peach
- Purple Toad (NV)/ Black & Bruised
- Stonebrook (NV)/ Cranberry
- Forest Edge (2015)/ Sweet Strawberry Delight
- Purple Toad (NV)/ Chocolate Strawberry
Patrons will be able to sample some of these gold medal bottles of wine at the Kentucky Proud Kentucky Derby Festival WineFest on Tuesday, May 2, and Wednesday, May 3. The WineFest will be open from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. on both days. This year’s WineFest will feature over a dozen wineries from Kentucky and Indiana. Tickets are $45 and available online at KDF.org or by calling (502) 584-FEST. Sponsor: Kentucky Proud. Contributing Sponsor: Ashley Furniture HomeStore of Louisville, Commonwealth Credit Union, and Sullivan University. Media Sponsors: Today’s Woman and 106.9 PLAY.
The Derby Festival is an independent community organization supported by 4,000 volunteers, 400 businesses and civic groups, Pegasus Pin sponsorships and event participation. It entertains more than 1.5 million people annually. This involvement has made the Festival the largest single attended event in Kentucky and one of the leading community celebrations in the world.
DERBY FESTIVAL UPDATE
2017 Derby Festival| April 20 – May 5
KDF Press Office | 502.584.3378, ext. 3 | KDFPressOffice@kdf.org
Aimee Boyd | C. 502.741.7442
Gary Stinson | C. 270.287.1411